Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summer-Summertime

I've not been writing as often as I'd like, but life has begun to settl into a day-to-day hum and I find myself a little busy from the time I wake up until I tuck myself (and the pups!) in at night. Nonetheless, in case you're curious about how I've been doing, life is good, happy and chill in the Land of the Morning Calm. It's summer in Korea now, and I guess really it has been for the most part since near the end of May, I'm just thinking more about it these days I guess. No more chilly nights, no more thoughts of snow lingering on the edge of my mind, only heat. All. The. Time. Now as many of you are very well aware, I *hate* wintery cold days, so I am totally in my element over here in the summer time temperatures.

Along with this heat, which sits around 25-30C most days, there is a thick, sticky wall of mugginess. For anyone who has never been to a tropicalesque country it's hard to explain just what this feels like... funny that Korea ISN'T tropical, but embraces mugginess as though it were!! What it pretty much boils down to is the feeling that you are ALways covered by a sort of slick on your skin, sweating just from sitting outside or walking outside, even when the sun is hiding under cloud cover. I guess it's kinda like you are walking inside a greenhouse, with the heat cranked up around 30, the air just hanging around you... or like when you're stuck in the tiny drycleaner's shop on a really busy day, the air almost hits you as you walk in the door, and leaving gives you a 'thank god, I can breathe again!' kind of feeling... humid, humid, humid! Almost EVerywhere you go you find air conditioning, so the heat and the mug are easy to escape if you like, but I am almost ALways to be found outside, soaking up the heat a bit like a lizard, enjoying the fact that it's summer.

That being said, I *DO carry my umbrella almost everywhere I go, because Monsoon season is coming. Some days in the past week or two I've thought it was here, but then the next few days were sunny so I was obviously wrong, because monsoon season means 2-4 weeks of rain! rain! rain! with slight breaks... not what I've seen in my end of the country these days! 

Last week on my afternoon break there was a shower while the sun was still shining. It was raining enough that you definitely needed an umbrella if you wanted to arrive at your destination dry, but I found myself tucking my umbrella under my arm as I slowly walked back to school with my mocha frappe... the rain was beautiful, falling in light whispers from the cloudless sky, soft and warm warm warm like the summer sea. I remember closing my eyes for a moment and turning my face to the sky... I just stood there in the park, letting the rain fall down on me and thinking it was one of the most perfect feelings I've ever had... no traffic sounds, no pushy people, just the sound of the fountain in the park and the warm sunny rain. I was almost late to work because I walked so slowly once my feet started again, but I was on the edge of bliss and at the time it was worth raised eyebrows from the boss  :) 

Out at dinner with a Korean friend tonight we caught a bit of the weather, and the weather girl was talking about the meteorological confusion that was circling Korea since monsoon season hadn't arrivved yet... one day of light misty rain and then it's sunny - THAT is not a monsoon!! Nobody knows where the rains are, however I want to assure them that they're surely on their way (they seem to have gotten stuck down in Medicine Hat, Alberta if I've heard the news from home correctly!).

The Earth has a way of balancing itself out and doing it's thing, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. In the event that the rains DO come, perhaps I will have to go out and get myself a pair of polka-dot rain boots all the kids are wearing these days!!  :)  Ha, me, rainboots, haha, yeah... we'll see... stranger things have been known to happen!

1 comment:

  1. nothing wrong with polka-dotted rainboots. nothing at all :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA