Monday, July 12, 2010

My Doctor Makes Housecalls

Maybe it's because I teach his son during the week, but I just got the kindest phone call ever - from my doctor!!

You might remember when I first moved to Korea that I found this really nice English-speaking Dr., Dr. Gwak, who chatted with me about kids, and child psychology, and ADHD during my first visit to see him. Then the next time I saw him (about my sore hip/leg!) he asked me if I'd consider teaching his son. Well, I said 'yes,' and for the past month I've been making the hour commute into the city to his place to teach his lovely 10-year old son, Vio.

Viot is quite wonderful, particularly for a 10-year old boy! He's interested in English and speaks it quite easily. He loves science, and of course is then easy to entertain, even during our 2 1/2 hour Saturday lessons - all in English!

I went to see Dr. Gwak on Friday after leaving school with the very baddy-badness of food poisoning, and he was of course very concerned, and very helpful. He didn't let me pay for the consultation (we usually pay about $12 per visit, which the school reimburses us for), and he texted me about a hundred times through the weekend to check in on me.

Okay, so at 100 I'm of course exaggerating, but he texted a lot, including (in typical Korean fashion) a list 4 messages long of different diagnostic possibilities and potential symptoms to watch for that ranged from the banal to the most terrifying!). He asked about dizziness, what kind of dizziness, a schwack of other symptoms and starte ranging a bit on the paranoid side by the time the weekend was coming to a close.


Then today came, Monday evening after a long day of work and yoga and the doctor's number popped up on my cell phone. He told me Viot and the rest of the family had been concerned about me, and that Viot had asked his dad to call me and make sure that I had recovered well from the Friday badness. My little 10-year old boy (make that 8 1/2 in North American age) was worried about me... aww...

How sweet is this kid, and his dad???  Mind you, I'm glad we live far enough apart that he's not comfortable showing up on my doorstep, because I have this feeling that they juuuuuuust might!!


P.S.  Mom, I am fully recovered from whatever it was that was trying to get grips on me... back to normal, healthy and happy and addicted to hot yoga, so don't worry!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA