Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Darling Jay

He's all of 3 feet tall.

He's 4, and he'll turn 5 at the end of this month (7 more sleeps actually, he informed me this morning).

We 2 were on our own in the classroom, everyone else having ripped through like a tornado seconds before to climb stuff and throw things and screech at the top of their lungs on the indoor playground just outside my door. 

My most darling baby is still in his chair. This morning we talked about the new school year starting in March, their new (male) teacher, and my upcoming move back home earlier in the morning... he'd been a bit quiet/thoughtful since, so I'd been expecting our little chat.
Whatt're you doin' honey? Aren't you going to playtime?

"Teacher.... Mommy says you are a good teacher. Me too teacher, you're a good teacher. I like you. No going to Canada okay? You sleep in my house, and everyday - we can play."

That's very sweet my lovely, but I can't sleep in your house - your Mommy will have to cook too much food for me!

(his mom sends me snacks some days, and she is a GREAT cook - which would mean I would want to eat a lotta food if I lived anywhere near... teacher thought she was being 5-year-old logical and reasonable and all that...)

"NOoooo, it's okay! Mommy-says-it's-okay-you-can-do it - REALLY TEACHER!!"

Aww honey, you know teacher has to go to Canada soon... but you will have a great new teacher (a boy!!) for the next class, you'll have lots of fun with him in school - and you can call me on the video phone if you miss me, right?

"Yahhhh, but...." (damn... I should NEVER have taught them "yah, but"!)

My little one plunks his chin on his teeny fist and attempts to furrow his tiny brow as he's hard in thought (my favourite expression) and stares hard at me silently for a few seconds.

"Teacher?"


Yes, babe?

"Teacher, you n' me go duhn-duhn-duh-duhhhhn......duhn-duhn-duh-duhhhhn (tune of bridal march... he couldn't remember the words 'get married')... you don't go to Canada, right?"

(One of my co-teachers is getting married in the Spring and won't be returning to her home... this little guy can certainly put 2&2 together!)

Cue teacher turning to a gooey puddle at the front of the tiny classroom with shiny eyes from keepin' tears from sneakin' out as I look at my little darlin,' waiting for my answer so earnestly...

My voice cracked a bit and I cleared my throat a couple times before I answered him...

How about we talk about getting married again after you have some fun out at playtime, okay honey?

Like a big chicken, I thought it best to distract him since I couldn't think of what else to say in the moment...

"Okay teacher. You go to coffee, I go to playtime."

With that, my astute little one ran off to play and I (as directed) went to fill up my coffee cup and have a timout in the kitchen.  When recess wound down he came all hyped up on the climbing, jumping, and screaming, a huge smile on his face, successfully diverted from his worries once again.

Me?  Looking around the room at my shiny little faces I still had to do a lot of blinking to keep back the tears, thinking about how soon it was that I wouldn't be seeing my little babies anymore.

March is gonna be haaaaaaaard for teacher, methinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA