Friday, February 25, 2011

Dear Mr. Ambassador

A couple of days ago I phoned the Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul about getting a visa.  More organized people would have gotten the visa BEFORE the plane ticket, but I got my ticket weeks ago and just got around to the visa now!  Since the embassy is in Seoul and I have to take time off work to go there I thought better to call ahead and find out the details for sure, right?? 

I checked out the embassy's website.  Lots of information there, and I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing - boss hates it when I take time off, and while he's pretty good about it (when you're immune to nagging the way I am!) I'd rather not take advantage of the whole situation!  Embassy man on phone told me (twice, because I didn't really quite understand everything the first time and I had to call again!) what I needed to bring with me (travel itinerary, eticket, passport, alien card, application, and 2 photos) and what time to come (between 930am-11:30am, as early as I could be there).  He said they'd have it all back to me in 3 business days, which means the day before I leave - pleeeeeenty of time, right?

One small thing:

Him: "You need to bring you invitation from a person in Bangladesh."

Me: But I don't know anyone in Bangladesh... how do I get an invitation?


Him: "You need to bring you invitation from a person in Bangladesh."

Me: Um, I don't have an invitation.
Him: "You need to bring you invitation from a person in Bangladesh."


Me: (I got this) Ummm.... I don't know anyone from Bangladesh... is there something else I can do?  Another way I can apply for a visa if I don't have an invitation
Him: "Ok, bring your travel itinerary and your Korean ID card and your passport before 11am."

Me: So, I don't need an invitation to visit Bangladesh?


Him: "Bring your travel itinerary and your Korean ID card and your passport before 11am."

Ok, need it, don't need it, I have no freakin' idea but off I go!!  :)  So I told the boss (on Tuesday) that I needed to go, and needed 3 business days - Friday he says.  Okay, Friday it is!  That, would be today.

So, armed with the items embassy man said I needed (and NO letter of invitation) I tromped down to Itaewon's embassy row with the scribbled instructions and map I'd taken off google maps (god I love that thing!) and managed to get myself right there.  I walked pretty much directly to the front door with little to nothing in the way of drama, it was great!  I also found the Cambodian ambassador's house and the something-or-another from Tunisia, and the embassies of both Nigeria (which had really big gates!) and Lebanon.

So I step inside the embassy, which is quite plain and normal looking on the main floor (though honestly I always thought embassies were these posh places... I've since been reeducated!).

[Enter Embassy Man #1]

Me: (handing all paperwork over including the handwritten itinerary of places I'd like to visit sans dates that I'd jotted down on my way out the door) I'd like to apply for a visa to Bangladesh starting March 3rd.

Him: Nodding without looking up and shuffling through my papers, "I need your invitation from Bangladesh."

Me: I don't have an invitation.  I called twice and spoke to a man on the phone and he said I just needed my itinerary and stuff, and that it was okay if I didn't have an invitation.


Him: "Where you called?  You called here?  No, no, it's not possible.  You need an invitation from Bangladesh."

Me: Umm... okay, I understand I need an invitation.  I don't know anyone in Bangladesh, so how would you suggest I get an invitation?

Him: (after a big sigh and much shuffling of my papers, and some yelling back to someone else in the office in a language I didn't understand "Okay, wait a moment please." [exit stage right]

[Enter Embassy Man #2]

Him: Nodding without looking up while shuffling through my papers "I need your invitation from Bangladesh."


Me: I just explained to the other man, I don't have an invitation from anyone in Bangladesh.

Him: "I see.  Okay.  You need an invitation from Bangladesh."

Me: Umm... right... but since I don't have an invitation, is it possible to go to Bangladesh without an invitation?

Him: after a big sigh and much shuffling of my papers "Take this paper to the bank and transfer the fee for the visa"

Me: So I can get a visa, even though I don't have an invitation?

Him: "Take that paper to the bank and transfer the fee for the visa." 

I recognized that the universe was playing with me and decided to just smile and say thank you and walk to the bank like I was told, cuz what the heck else was I going to do... I did my little thank you bow, smiled at the nice man, and walked the 10 minutes back up the hill to the bank to make the fee transfer. 

Conveniently, rather than the 150bucks I'd have to pay out of Canada, I only had to pay 60 being in Korea, so THAT was a nice change - especially because I didn't know whether or not it was actually going to GET me a darn visa, lol.

Back at the embassy man number 1 had returned to the counter.  I set my bag down again in the corner and returned to the counter armed with my stack of papers and my shiny deposit slip.  He smiled at me and did his own little bow...

Him: "We are to be doing something very special here.  We are making a very special situation for you, because you are a woman and we respect you.  We would like for you to visit to Bangladesh, so we will do it for you, only.  Do you understand?"

Me: Woohoo (yes, I really said 'woo-hoo!'), thank you!  What do I need to do?


Him: (Handing me a blank piece of A4 paper)  "You must write a letter to the Ambassador asking for permission to visit Bangladesh"

Me: You want me to write a letter to the Bangladeshi Ambassador?

Him: (handing me my scribbled itinerary note) "Yes, and make sure to outline your travel plan as well."

Me: Ooooookay, you got it!

So, I handwrote a very nice letter to the Ambassador respectfully requesting his permission to visit his beautiful country for 2 weeks in March.  I left them with all of my paperwork and let them know that I would return the following week on Wednesday to pick up my passport.

Mission accomplished, I think... but stay tuned   :)

5 comments:

  1. I love it. Do you plan to keep this up for the rest of the trip? I hope so.

    Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Uncle Bill!! I do plan to keep writing, it's lots of fun and helps me remember what goes on!

    I've been doing it since I came to Korea (in the beginning to entertain my mom with my antics, lol), but I'll definitely be writing more now that I'm on my way to a big trip!!

    I'll keep posting them to facebook too so I can share :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweetheart
    I've been catching up on your blog and enjoying it so much. It has been awhile since I visited so had a lot of reading to do. I have to tell you Iam a little anxious about this voyage you are about to begin but promise not to worry. I know you are very excited and happy. This is who you are and it makes me so proud that you have the strength and empowerment to follow your dreams. May God guide you safely on your journey and may he constantly remind you to check in with your Mom FREQUENTLY! If you remember the tear in the ocean you will never forget how much I love you. Be happy Shaunise and as always stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm already having a blast mom, thanks for your note! I'm still not on email yet in case you've written there. I just got back from my first day exploring the sights nearby and CAN'T believe how EARLY it still is! I *am being safe, and mindful, and all those good things... love you lots Mom!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe is important! Moms (and the rest of us) won't be happy if you're not safe.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA