Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sleepover!!

Watching the CareBears Movie
(and totally ignoring teacher of course!)
 Sandy (the most energetic 5-year old with ants in her pants that you have EVER met) and Margaret (grown up for her 6 years, loves to be the centre of attention), the two little girls that I teach at home on Tuesdays came for a sleepover on Friday night.  Their moms can't remember the last time they had a night at home without their kids, so I invited the girls to come to my place for the night.  Sandy has never spent the night away from her mom before, but she is fearless so we weren't really worried. 

When mom dropped them off it was hilarious, because she was in my apartment yelling "teeeeeeacherrrrrrr!" while I was the only one hanging out saying goodnight to her mom.  Poor mom, I think it was sad for her to leave without her daughter tugging at her pantlegs to stay, lol... when it's time for our class she is usually shoving her mom out the door with both hands with a "see you later mommy, it's my classtime now, bye!!!!"... This, from the little girl who in March took one look at me and screamed for her mom to stay - she's so grownup now!!
 

Margaret's favourite thing is the new cell phone
her grandpa bought her to start elementary school with!

The girls and I had a great time, really!  They were in their jammies before I even came in from the porch and saying goodnight to mom, they were so excited.  They came over when I finished teaching Friday and we made spaghetti together... not much to that, right?  Of course I forgot to take photos because I was too busy making sure they didn't burn down my kitchen, but we had lots of fun!  There was spaghetti sauce EVERYwhere, but that's just what I consider a consequence of those under 4 feet tall being in the kitchen!  :)

 After dinner we made some pictures for their mommies with stamps and markers and cutouts (they love to draw of course) and then we watched the Care Bears (which was a little creepy, when compared to what I remember them looking like when I was a kid!).  The girls loved the movie, and it was all I could do to get them to EAT once it was on, lol... they were very cute...


Sandy rolled around on my floor like
a human mop, lol, she loves ballet - I think
this was the snake ballet!

Once the movie ended we put away our dishes and I put on my jammies and we all brushed our teeth.  We did manicures (very grown up, that is!) and played Guess Who together, and then we had a mini dance party (because man Korean kids looooove dance parties!) to some good ole' dance music. 


When it was coming on midnight I figured I should probably start getting them wound down into bed.  We did the toothbrushing facewashing routine and the three of us piled into bed - it was just like I remember sleepovers with all the giggling and silliness.  After about 20 minutes they were quiet enough to start falling asleep, and I was pretty impressed.  I had promised pancakes in the morning, so that got them quiet (ahhh, successful bribery - yay!). 

About 4 hours later after the 3rd time I got kicked hard in the shin by Margaret (she dreams of soccer I think!), and the 5th time I woke to catch Sandy from rolling off the edge of the bed (she decided to curl up at the end of the bed, lol) I moved my butt to the sofa to sleep.  I didn't really sleep any more between then and when the girls woke up at 8, between making sure Margaret wasn't kicking Sandy in the head, and that Sandy wasn't rolling herself off the bed - I was on watch, lol.

When they finally woke up we watched an episode of Magic Schoolbus all snuggled up in blankets, and then we made strawberry pancakes and my friend Jill (another teacher they know) came down to have breakfast with us.  When I brought out the vanilla ice cream the girls were beside themselves, they thought it was the best thing ever to have ice cream for breakfast, lol. 



They both enjoyed their pancakes and icecream
(and not necessarily in that order!)
 
They had a great time mixing the batter and pouring in all the ingredients and cracking eggs and stuff, and hardly ANYthing wound up on the floor - it was incredible!!  :)  The pancakes turned out perfectly, and it was as though we hardly finished before mom was back to pick them up... I can't say they were well put together (I hadn't combed their hair or done anything more than getting them into their clean clothes), but they were in one piece, and they were so happy.

Me too, what a great way to start my weekend!!  I'm going to miss Korea, a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA