Sunday, April 18, 2010

Monk for a Day at Magoksa

I spent the past weekend on a temple stay at Magoksa in Gong-Ju, about 2 hours South of Seoul. When I told my mom before leaving that I was going to try out temple life for the weekend she quipped that she now had to worry about me going off and becoming a monk! No worries about that per se (I still don't want to become a monk Mom!) but I had a beautiful weekend.

It's hard to find words for experiences like these ones. I've mentioned before that every temple has a way about it, a uniqueness, a feeling that sometimes stirs me deep down inside? This was another one of those times... I know I won't be able to pass on to you just what that means for me, so instead I'll share some of the loveliness of it all... (I'll post about a few activities a bit later)...

When you arrive through these gates it is said that you leave all of your troubles and baggage behind, free to embrace the peace and spirit of the Buddhist temple

These are the guardians of the 4 directions who keep the temple and its occupants free from all things bad that might try to enter  

Buddha's birthday is coming up, May 21st, so there are lanterns everywhere in celebration... these ones guided us along the pathway to the next gate for another meeting...

The guardians with Action (with the elephant) and Wisdom... either one without the other doesn't really get you anywhere, so you should embrace them both as you travel through the second gate

The view when you first enter the temple grounds once you are past the gates... beautiful

The five-storied Ocheung Stone Pagoda is found in the centre of the temple grounds... it is unique because of the bronze that was used on the top of it (this technique was borrowed from the style of Tibetan Buddhism)

I love doorways most days, but I particularly loved this one with the light sneaking out... a doorway to illumination

This dragon is on the frame for the gong in the drum area... in Buddhism dragons are the highest creatures, so you see a lot of them

The view of one of the main temple halls where prayer is held... this one houses 3 Buddhas, one for long life, one for health, and one for... oh, I've forgotten, I hate that!

A view of the main temple hall from my favorite little temple on the hill

Lanterns marked most pathways... candles are strung within them, and many were lit up at night

We went to bed at 9pm (more like 10pm) and woke at 3am - monks do this every day. Despite being a little tired, the beauty of the morning made me forget -about it... no tourists, no bugs, the only things you could hear were the river and the birds. I left the group again for a walk on my own to soak in the peacefulness of the morning before morning prayers at 3:40am

The pathway up the mountain to my favorite little temple
(there are lots of temples at Magoksa (maybe 9 or 10?), all very different from one another)

The papers hanging from these lanterns are wishes that people have written to Buddha on this upcoming birthday... wishes for themselves, for others, for big things and little... the red lantern holds my wish

We all wore temple clothing, lovely and flattering as you can see  :)
This is me with our monk, the one who was in charge of our very large ANYTHING-BUT peaceful temple stay group... I think he may have even more patience than your average monk. Next time I temple stay I am definitely going groupless, because the experience really wasn't a peaceful one at most times!

This is my teacher monk... I skipped out on arts and crafts block after making my prayer bracelet and went for a walk on my own up the mountain. This monk was in a small hilltop temple that I stumbled upon, and when he saw me he invited me in to sit with him. He taught me about energy and prayer in Buddhism... it was really incredible... he also gave me his card and asked me to come back and talk with him again soon   :)

Looking out over the temple grounds from the hilltop temple hall... Magoksa is nestled in among the TaeHwa Mountains... it was so beautiful there

5 comments:

  1. Monks with cards!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd love to do something like that - where did you hear about it/ how did you organise it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sadie! I know hey, lol, I couldn't believe it when he pulled it out from the many folds of his robes, lol... right after he checked the time on his cell phone :)

    Daffa, 4 Temples do single-bookings, and a bunch more do groups of 15 or more (check here http://asiaenglish.visitkorea.or.kr/ena/SI/SI_EN_3_4_5.jsp). I'm going to go out to GolGukSa back in GyeongJu the first weekend in May, they do individual bookings (the 'group' was *r*e*a*l*l*y* loud through most of the stay).

    Speaking of the group, I went with a group from Meetup.com called the "Travel and Culture Group" (http://travel.meetup.com/715/), so all I had to do was show up for the bus at Gyo-Dae station. We went to the temple and the Hall of Korean Independence on the way back to Seoul, it's a great way to meet a bunch of new people, I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds fantastic. will definately look into it when i come back in june!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daffa, I'll keep you posted on the 2nd temple stay once I've been... I'm looking forward to seeing/doing the martial art!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA