Monday, April 5, 2010

Sunday Night Out

What a great weekend I had! It was so good to get out of the apartment, and it was really nice to spend some time with friends instead of only pallin' around on my own. Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying my independent exploration of things these days, but it was a really nice weekend!

Sunday after Butterfingers I met up with Chelsea and Christina, two of my partner teachers from work. Christina is my classroom partner, she looks after my kids when I'm not in the classroom. She has just gotten a job as a junior graphic designer, so she's leaving sometime in April - booo! They both speak a lot of English, and though Chelsea is a bit braver, Christina has a much bigger vocabulary - they both kick butt over my Korean, let me tell you! We went to a theatre that I didn't know about up by that crazy mall I showed you before (AK Plaza) to see the movie Titan (I think it's called Revenge of the Titans at home?). It was pretty good. By the time it had ended we had decided the world needs more Perseus (or Per-see-oos as they kept calling him)!

After the movie we went to La Merce, a little Mexican place the girls at work talk about sometimes. I think you might even be able to see it in the video I posted when I was at AK last time. In true Korean style, Chelsea and Christina did not order ANYTHING Mexican off the menu, we ate Korean, lol... I really giggled when the food arrived, I'm sure they thought I was crazy. I explained to them that typically if I go out to an ethnic restaurant of any kind, I tend to order that food from the menu - Korean restaurant, Korean food: I wouldn't order a hamburger when I went out to New Seoul, you know what I mean?? However, we shared an order of chicken with mixed rice and ddokk-bok-ki, a dish I'll have to show you a picture of sometime because it's hard to explain (it's on the left in the picture below).

Around 7pm. 2 of Chelsea's came out to visit. One (TaeJeong) said she didn't speak much English (though it sure seemed fine to me!) and she was really nervous to come, and the other (Jun) spent 2 years in India so his English was pretty good. Taejeong is working part-time in a shop up the road, and Jun works for a hairdresser as an apprentice, they're both really cute (and all 4 are so young). I drank long island iced tea (otherwise known as Rong Tea), and they shared a 2000cc mekju (beer) which came in this crazy thing...
Chelsea (right) and TaeJeong (left) with mekju

The seafood dokkbokki is on the left, the chicken and rice on the right... Chelsea is cuttin' up the chicken because typically out with Koreans you order a few different dishes and share them all...
My partner teacher Christina, she's wonderful!
After a couple of drinks and dinner, we made our way back to our respective abodes (4 of us in one direction, 1 in the other on the train). We wandered up the same little street and bought chicken-on-a-stick (I should have taken a picture, though it's really just hot chicken and peppers on a skewere - it's wonnnnnnnnnnnnnderful!), which came in very handy in Jun's lesson...

If you've read my blog or looked at my Flickr photos before, you might have seen the billboard ad in the subway station for "ManStar", where there are 2 nicely dressed men at the urinals, and one is gasping in awe while not-at-all subtly ogling the guy next to him over top of the partition... now all I could self-translate was "Man Clinic" from all of the words on the sign. I thought, surely, this wouldn't be an ad for enlargement, would it?? Really??! In the Subway station??!!??!! Nahhh.....

We passed the same ad on the way home Sunday night, and Jun explained it to me like this...

[he wouldn't look at me while holding up the sticks because he didn't want to be associated with the explanation, I was almost doubled over in laughter when I took the picture]

So Jun said, "Ok, ok, I'll show you, here... Korean man, (holding up 1 short skewer in right hand) Foreigner man. (holding up 3 regular skewers in left hand). What you think about that?"
 
I nearly died of laughter right there on the subway platform!!!! Sometimes things really are just what they seem, aren't they?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA