Sunday, May 2, 2010

Another Sunday in Seoul

Today I finally dragged my butt into Seoul to see Steve McCurry's exhibit and I was a busy-busy girl so this post is going to be a long one! It'll be more photos than writing though, so don't be scared - check it out!!  :)

First on my way in on the bus I got it into my head that I could use a new bag for walking around on the weekends, as I only have a big leatherish purse or a bigger backpack unsuitable for just a daytrip in the city. "Not leaving the city without one" I decided! So, I got off the bus. It turned out (I noticed only as the bus was driving away!) that I got off at the totally WRONG stop, and I have no idea what prompted me to get off! I started walking up the block (it was a pretty major shopping area crowded with people) and wandered about 5 blocks up and then down into the nearest subway station. When I reached the ticketing floor there was a little bag shop set up with totally functional out n' about in the city bags - LOVE IT!!! I couldda bought 10 different bags, I loved them, so I picked one out and went on my merry little way. Love when that happens!

I tried to hunt around the bookstore, as the huge Kyobo Bookstore (with the biggest English section I've ever seen in Korea!) is in the same neighbourhood, but after much wandering I found out that it was closed for renovations... boo!! I did spot a couple of old favorite spots tho...



As I was wandering I came across some strange little coin/bank festival/activity down along the Han river walkway where people were tossing 10 cent coins (100 Won) and trying to get them into a water dish to win an ugly plastic piggy bank...


The Han River walkway itself is really nice, and smack dab in the middle of Seoul... when you're down on the actual paths it's almost like you've left the city for awhile!



Korea has declared 2010-2010 "Visit Korea" Year

People just hunker down whatever for a chat in the sunshine

Lots of people out walking along the river (dressed for winter almost, but hey, maybe it's my Canadian genes kicking into overdrive with the sunshine that had me walking around in tshirt and shorts!)

What a beautiful day...
  
Before heading into the airconditioned exhibit I wandered around the square in front of the Sejong Centre checking out statues and museums dedicated to King Sejong (who created the Korean alphabet, among other things!) and Admiral Yee (who revamped the Turtle Ship during the wars with Japan)...


King Sejong

Admiral Yee and his Turtle Ship

There was a fountain on the square that people were walking around in. It was a beautiful sunny day and I enjoyed watching everyone playing




While I was waiting in line to buy my tickets, no fewer that 3 random people walked up and 'nonchalantly' took my photo standing in line... I just pretended I didn't notice, lol... on exhibit myself it seemed!!

The exhibit itself was great, it was in the basement of the Sejong Center, across the intersection from the square. The centre has so much going on in it, it has every kind of performance art you can imagine happening ALL the time! One of the philharmonics from the US is here now, but I can't remember which one!

Sejong Centre for the Arts

 Posters in the entrance 

I loved wandering around at my own pace inside the gallery. It was busy, but not packed, and it was more young people than old (so believe it or not, that meant less pushing and shoving!). The photos really took me on a journey, some of them fun, some of them heartwrenching. It would have been nice if the audio guide had also been available in English, as it was only in Korean... the photos were amazing, and we were actually allowed to take pictures inside, which I only did a couple times... these photos really caught me...



The woman on the bottom left in the purple is the Afghan girl (Shabart Gula) from "Ungaurded Moment"...  McCurry took the original photo in 1984 (top row, second from left), he didn't ask for her name or anything, it was just a random photo. After the picture caused such a stir and people were so interested in her, McCurry took a trip and after much ado found her again in Afghanistan after 20 years, she was 30 years old.

You can check out more of his work HERE on his own website, the photos are really incredible and I am so glad I had the opportunity to go out and see them.

After the exhibit I followed the lanterns strung along the street to an old favorite temple (you'll remember this one Sadie), JoGyeSa. They're getting ready for Buddha's birthday later this month so the lanterns are hung high, and so lovely...




 


What a fabulous way to spend my Sunday... a beautiful, gorgeous day that made me happy just to be alive in the world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA