Friday, May 14, 2010

Teachers Day 2010 - My Love Extravaganza

In Korea every year on the 15th of May it's customary to show your appreciation to your teacher(s) by giving a small gift. We teachers get carried away hoping for much namebrand soaked goodness, with many noses turned up at the sight of flowers and goodies from the nearby bakeries. I love every single second of it all. I didn't go to work expecting presents (bad experience from another school led to the change in attitude there!), but hoping for cards from my babies. My kids bring me SOMEthing almost every day, lol... it might be a little ribbon, a warm candy they've saved in their pocket all day, one of their barettes out of their hair (yes, really, lol) or a picture they did the night before when they finished their homework, but they're always very proud and excited to pass it over to me... as such, I was hoping to get some good ones for teacher's day!

My little kindergarten kids were absolutely aDORable this morning when they (and I) arrived at school. Usually I make a quick stop in my classroom after the bus drops us off to change the date and job cards, and then I have 20 minutes to get ready for classes, do my photocopying and have a cup of coffee before tackling the day, but this morning I didn't make it out of the classroom door once I ducked in.

"Shauna teacher! Shauna teacher! Present!" could have been heard at the other end of the building. They were bursting with excitement and shoving presents and flowers and cards into my overloaded hands. They wanted me to open everything right then and there, but for every one of them the most important part was the card that they had written, drawn, or coloured themselves, and their love and care was shining right out of them as they watched me open it and read their little messages to me. I always make a big deal out of their handmade presents, and this morning was no exception, and I didn't even miss my coffee cup today...

I'd like to share a few notes and cards with you...

   
Jay made me a thank you note decorated with lots of hearts and flowers...

Daniel made me a dragon airplane with "teacher, here, dragon airplane, pshhht! pffbt! powbow! rawwr! weee!" sound effects as he described it all...

Eric and his mommy made a combined effort... from the parts that I can understand of the note...
"I was really worried when I first sent Eric to school that I made a mistake sending him to Best Kids school and now 3 months has passed... Wrapped in Shauna teacher's love and colourful notes and drawings Eric has become so happy going to school... Each time he shows the work he's done in his books from his school day with such pride I am so proud of him and I am so happy...I hope you will continue to love Eric..."

Justin and his Mommy also made me a card together...

Melody drew us both in her thank you card... I love that we both look so happy, so full of life and energy
 

Sean was about ready to throw away the gift he brought to get to the card, he was SO very proud of his picture, and I can tell he spent a lot of time and attention making it for me

And lastly a note from Sandy and  her mommy (whose English is really quite good!)

my heart is happier than ever that I decided to go back to teaching, and I am proud to have such amazing, caring, and thoughtful kids looking out for me...

Have a beautiful weekend everyone!

4 comments:

  1. I never thought that anyone could love you as much as I do but it really looks like your kids are almost there. And why not? I can only describe it as magnetic. You draw people to you who want to be around you and want to see you happy. I love you sweetheart and it does my heart good to know you are in a happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Mom... there's nobody who could love me as much as Mom :) You're wonderful!

    It's really amazing being such an influential person in the lives of my little friends... I remember how much I loved my teachers when I was little, and I hope to have the same impact on my own classes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shauna this made me tear up! What sweet students you have and what great work you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laina, I *love my kids!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA