Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Last Night in Korea


I know I should do SOMEthing...
 So I've been sitting in my hotel room most of the evening just kinda stalled into stillness.  I've been reading my book (maaaaaan, I love the e-reader I got for Christmas!) and drinking too much pepsi and I've had 2 baths (yep, count 'em, 1-2!!).  My stuff is strewn all over the bed and though I keep thinking I should try to fit it into my 2 bags, here I am still laying here.  I'm still avoiding the wild piles of email, charging my camera battery, my e-reader, my MP3 player, and DOH!! slapping myself in the forehead for leaving my computer's cord (the one I sent home) plugged in on the floor when I packed it up... hopefully there's a postal outlet at the airport in the morning!! (come now, anyone who knows me knows I couldn't leave this country without forgetting SOMEthing, lol)

Camped out at Tom n' Tom's

Earlier I went to Tom n' Tom's (a local coffee shop where you get free wireless if you just buy a coffee or something... me, I always get the pepperoni pizza pretzel set) and used the netbook for a little while.  I bought an ASUS Eee PC for $240 online and I am loving it so far... it should make it much easier to write while I'm away - it's such a cute, tiny little thing!  It's battery life isn't awesome, but I should probably check my power settings before I complain too much!  They were playing some great jazz music, so it was nice to just sit there and veg out, watching the world go by on the streets of Itaewon outside the window in the freezing gale of wind below.

The universe was on my side today, and even though I slept in until 745 I still managed to get all of my crap done today... I finished packing the crap that I dragged with me to the hotel and carried the ridiculously heavy box to the post office to send; I transferred money home, I cancelled my cell phone (which hasn't worked in weeks anyway), and I went to the pharmacy...


Allowed into Bangladesh!!
 I finished uploading books and music and a couple of movies, I picked up my passport and my shiny Bangladesh visa, and I mailed a schwack of boxes off from the post office.  I also went by the school to say goodbye to the boss and his wife ("Class Mom" we call her) and her little sister Terry... that was all good and fine (no tears, I swear!) until Class Mom started crying when I hugged her goodbye - then, I was a mess.  Damn, and I was doing so good!!

Last Day of School, Playing with the Girls
Boss tried to drag me into the teacher's office saying "Come back to work, I have a spot for you right here!" and he shook my hand and hugged me 5 times asking me to come back as soon as I could, promising me all the contents of the heavens if I'd just come back to work for him again... it was a nice way to leave, and much different than I expected.  I also got to say goodbye to a few of my older kids, which was also a pretty wonderful treat (I intentionally went when they wouldn't be there so I didn't mess with their new-teacher vibes).

I have one more stop to make in the morning before I catch the bus to the airport, to drop something off for one of my kids at her mom's clinic, and then I'm off to the bus.  That being said I should probably go to bed soon, but first I must deal with this freakin' mess, lol.. morning will be here all too quickly... so, well, goodnight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA