Friday, March 18, 2011

Thursday to Friday in Dhaka

Future Cricket Star
So Thursday was a pretty lazy day here in Dhaka.  I walked with Emily down to the Gulshan circle to find the egg and naan guys for breakfast, which was delish.  We rickshawed back to Kassandras, I uploaded my photos (it took 7 hours for them to upload because I can't resize them!) and then went out for the day while Emily left for Kathmandu.

Mahbub (R) negotiating
I had made arrangements to meet up with a new friend from CouchSurfing, Mahbub, who had helped me find someone to fix my netbook.  I caught a CNG over to the Dhanmondi area (which I've passed by but never stopped in).


Of course the driver had no REAL idea where he was going once he got me to the right road, so I hopped out and walked, asking random strangers along the street how to get to Rifles Square.  I got there precisely at 1 (I really try not to be late, even with no watch!) and Mahbub was already there.

Kids playing at the lake
He was delightful, friendly and kind, and we went to eat at Dhaba.  I'd heard it was Bangla food but it turned out to be Indian.  It was delicious nonetheless.  We chatted over lunch and then walked around outside.  


There was a lake nearby that we went to see, and we passed by some people preparing for a celebration in honour of the man who was the first president of Bangladesh once it was freed (from Pakistan, I think?).  

It was also children's day, so there were families out all over the place hanging out together, it was nice.

At a couple of points we passed these women carrying small wooden boxes out in front of them, and they kept shoving them at Mahbub as we were walking, persistently following us and nattering at him quite aggressively.  


I thought they were trying to get him to buy a box, (surprising in itself because the boxes were of plain wood and quite dirty) but it turns out that instead they were trying to force him to give them money (blackmail him) not to open the box and drop snakes on me!!  Little did they know that I'm not scared of snakes but he's terrified, lol, they were threatening the wrong person!


Yes, it's a house!
NOT knowing what they were up to I actually lightly shoved both women to the side away from him and I inserted myself between them and Mahbub as we walked on, waving them off and away.  While I didn't at the time, I now understand the shocked looks on their faces when I stopped walking put my hands out to them and pointed saying "No, now GO!" in my teacher voice.  They didn't follow us any longer.

Threatening people - with snakes? Seriously people - you can't think of a single better way to make a living!?!

We came across more of these women in a park by the lake and I just waved them off again while Mahbub just avoided any contact with them - I'm happy today that I like snakes!!  :)
Parliamentary Complex


So we walked around a pretty lake area, and Mahbub showed me this crazy house built beside the lake by some strange (i.e. eccentric) billionaire.

Rickshaws galore!
After the lake we walked by the Dhaka Parliamentary Complex which was an interesting building.  There were many families milling around outside in the sunshine.  You can't go into the complex any longer, but people still visit outside.

Holy Rosary Catholic Church
From there we walked to Farmgate (another area) and Mahbub remembered a really cool old church that was nearby, so we walked there.  One area was crowded with rickshaws, it looked cool (I sure wish I had my computer so I could edit my pictures!!).  


Shrine to Mary
We got to the Church, the Holy Rosary Catholic Church, and it was pretty cool.  It was painted up a little Disney-style, but I still loved it.  The original building was build in 1644 by Portugese missionaries, and the new addition in 1993, it is Dhaka's largest church, and it is very nice.  

Outside it you can see a shrine to Mary and Mother Theresa's Compassion House which she set up in her last visit to Dhaka.  The graveyard is small and well kept, and there were many nuns wandering around the grounds and the street. 


After that Mahbub helped me find a CNG and I made my way home after another amazing day in Bangladesh.  He really made my day and I had such a good time.  We've made plans to meet up again once I'm back in Dhaka, maybe to visit the city's botanical garden!

Mother Theresa's Compassion House
So for today this is me signing off.  I'm headed north aways on the train from Cantonment station to visit Rajshahi and the small town with Hindu temples nearby.  If I find internet I'll check in, otherwise I'll be back on Monday to Dhaka for 2 days before heading out again to Cox's Bazar and destinations beyond.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend, and much happy adventure, until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA