Tuesday, February 23, 2010

1st Day at School

So the first day of school... let me just say first of all that whoever thought of "Working Until 7pm" days being on  Monday and Fridays should be flogged! That aside, the school is a lot of fun. I got to the school around 9 to meet the teachers, and I spent the whole day following another teacher around. I thought it was going to be quite terrible honestly, at the very least boring, but I had a good time. It feels so good to be back in a school with kids, I was even excited when I first woke up in the morning. Of course for my mom I took a "first day of school" picture before I left the house, the outfit is a little different and I'm without a lunchbox, but I thought she'd appreciate the comparison, hahaha!

So a walkthrough of my day... I was up at 7 since Mags and I have to go for a morning walk before I get ready for work. We went down to the river for the first time, which was really fantastic. I let her off leash for the first time since arriving and she ran around like a crazy wahoo, rubbing in the grass with her tongue lolling out of her head. After she'd ran and ran and ran we walked up the path a little more, hopefully I'll repost this later with some photos added so you can see. I've noticed that when I walk "with purpose" as Ceasar says, Mags follows perfectly... when I find her way up ahead of me I know that I've started to dawdle and lolligag, it's very funny. So we walked for about 45 minutes total. My calves and quads are telling me that Mags has done more walking since our arrival than she has in her whole little life, and I can't remember the last time I walked as much as I do here! Good way to get some exercise really, happy for my MP3 player too since it makes walking so much more pleasant! So after our walk I dropped her off at home and went to the soup restaurant for breakfast. Quick bowl of soup, a stop next door at Coffeenie  for a Cafe Mocha and it was off to school.

The kids here are in their last week of school, and I start actually teaching next week with a new group of kids. We don't know for sure who is teaching what class, but of course you'll know when I know! Time flew by from class to class and it's obvious how much the kids have learned. There isn't a whole lot of preparation required for each lesson, and from what I've seen so far I even like the books, so that's a good start! In the mornings I'll be teaching a kindergarten class... 10 kids of my very own to thrill and excite with the english language, haha.... There is a lunch break from 12:30-1:10 (though I use half of that time having lunch with the kids, the boss' mother in law cooks a Korean lunch for everyone, it was delicious!!) and then class goes until 1:45pm. After that the kindergarten kids go home on the bus, and we have a break until 2:50pm when the elementary kids come. During the break I went home and got Mags, took her to the nearby public square and played fetch for half an hour - she was very happy about it, and the people in the park really liked watching her, it was very cute. In the afternoon there are 2 groups of elementary kids that we see for 2 hours each on Mondays and Fridays (the rest of the week there's just one group and we're done at 5pm). Time flies in those blocks too, and the classes seem really fun, I am actually looking forward to starting with my own kids next week!!


So that was the first day at school. The other teachers I'm working with are pretty great, friendly and helpful, and the school feels like it's going to be a good place to work. I'll be happy to finish at 5pm today so I can have some time to do what I want at home - and the itnernet arrives this afternoon!! I'll fill you in on a few more of the details (and hopefully show you some pictures) after work this afternoon... if you're back at home you'll be in bed before I get to it, but look for it in the morning!! My head is just exploding with things I want to share, and the teacher's room is very busy and chatty so I'm going to sign off my disordered brain for now... thanks for comin' by, see you again soon!


S.

2 comments:

  1. I still think it's a cushy job - getting up at 7 a.m.. I wish!! I'm at work by 7:20. 7 a.m. is sleeping in on Saturdays. LOL! Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun and a great place to work. And it's nice to have a break long enough in the day to go home and check on Mags and get away for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Laura, working for the man sux hey??! :) You're right, the break makes for a nice day, I enjoy the excuse to get outside, and it makes a difference even when I'm teaching until 7 (so far!). And to be honest, it's totally a cushy job... surrounded by happy laughing joyful kids all day is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA