Saturday, February 20, 2010

Night out on the town (a.k.a... 'Getting There and Back Again')

Last night I did indeed make the trip into Seoul to see some friends from long ago, and though it was kind of a short visit I was happy to have gone. Finally met one friend's (not-so-new-anymore!) hubby, and he seemed wonderful, I'm even happier for them than before I met him! Met a lot of cool people really, but will have to go out another time because I really couldn't stay that late and still get home on the subway!

I left home about an hour and 10 minutes before I was due to arrive, and it still wasn't enough time. By the time I transferred twice and walked/jogged/climbed the distances in between it was a 90 minute journey!! Not so bad on the way there really, I had my MP3 player with me to keep me occupied. The trip home was another story though...

Left the bar about 5 after 11 (of course the party was really just barely getting going and I didn't want to go!), walked to the subway (5 min or so), got the 1st train, transferred, 2nd train, went to transfer to the last train around 12:05 and was told that the last train had already left... at 11:20!! After confirming 2x with my shaky Korean that there were no more trains coming I rode the escalator the rest of the way down and u-turned myself around to go up to street level. SO, what to do now... still a good 30 minute subway ride from home, best solution is probably a taxi. When I reached the street I had no idea where I was, and even by reading the street signs I couldn't seem to orient myself as to which way was home. This normally doesn't matter when you're not the one driving, but in Korea taxi drivers often won't take you if you're on the "wrong" side of the street from your intended destination. After about 10 minutes only 2 unoccupied taxis had gone by, and both drivers declined the fare to my neighbourhood (uhhhhhhh, bundang?.... shaking head, waving hands... ahhh, no, no bundang). Thank you very much, I guess I'll try across the street!

I had noticed quite a few more free cabs heading the other direction, so I thought at least I'd have a chance of getting home if 1/10 of them would take me!! As I crossed at the light I consoled myself that if needed, if absolutely necessary, I could always call my boss to help me, lol... while that would be humiliating it would be better than trying to walk home!! 3 more taxis pulled up to the curb, 3 more denials. By this time my toes and face were freezing, and my teeth were beginning to chatter (combination of sleepy-still-jetlagged, hungry and frustrated more than the cold, I think). When I was on the brink of tears and sure that one more refusal would send me over the top, a very nice taxi driver agreed to take me (if only because he had agreed before he really understood where I was asking him to go!). While the fare climbed and climbed (and climbed!) I really didn't care... my toes were warm, I had money in my pocket, and he had a general idea of where I wanted to go, all was well.

$20 later (well-spent!) I got home just after 12:30, and man was I glad to be there! I changed into some street clothes and sneakers, took Mags for a spin around the block (it's safe mom, lots of lights and people and traffic), washed the smoke off my face, played ball for a few minutes and then climbed into bed. When I think about it now I just would have stayed in the city if I didn't have the puppy at home in her little carrier, that will be less stressful once I have a playpen for her where she has some space to do what she needs until I get back again. Soon enough I'll have that all worked out! 

So, that was the night, adventures indeed!!  Now if I could only sleep past 6am!   :)

2 comments:

  1. noooooo!! i actually thought about that after you left, because the same thing happens to us. we actually have to leave itaewan pretty early in order to make the last connecting train - next time you'll definately have to stay in town. so great to see you - wish is was for longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me 2 happy 2 c u, very glad to catch up with you, even just briefly!

    Haha, I totally thought I left with enough time (obviously I've never made that trip before!). Oh well, I'm going to call that "The End of Learning Things the Hard Way" and see how that works... yep, definite different plans for sleeping arrangements the next time, and maybe puppy will go to doggy daycare!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA