Saturday, February 20, 2010

Life's Little Victories

Funny how the smallest of victories can make you feel on top of the world sometimes.

The other day when I was out in the department stores looking for a power adaptor all I could find was the multi-plug travel set with the plugs for all manner of countries for about $20. I'm trying to be a bit mindful of my money since my first real payday is about 6 weeks away, and thought that was too much. That, plus I couldn't even tell from the packing if there was a converter that would work IN Korea! There were rows and rows of 220V:110V adapters (Korea:Canada) for $2 each, but none the other way around. Then yesterday when I was walking I passed a couple of what I'd call hardware junkshops... they had an odd assortment of stuff out on the sidewalk reminiscent of a yard sale, but I thought I'd take my chances and see if they could help me. I pulled my battery charger out of my pocket so I could 'charades' them to understanding if my Korean didn't cut it, took a deep breath and opened the door.

There were 4 old Korean men inside sitting on boxes startled into silence when said hello (I don't know, either women or foreigners never visited them maybe?). I asked them if they had an adaptor for my camera charger (and flashed them my charger) they all jumped up, bumping into one another, trippingn over boxes and each hustling off to rummage around in a dark shelf or corner of the tiny space. Two argued together about which had grabbed the right part, the victor extracting the charger from my hand and fitting the adaptor snugly onto it while holding it out in front of him (think 'Christmas Vacation' when Chevy is about to connect the final 2 cords in his light display). There was much grumbling and more laughing as he handed me the piece I was looking for. I told him I'd like to buy 2 of them, and they were promptly placed in my open hand. So, how much? "$1 please". Seriously? $1? I have 2 of them, you know that, right? "Yes, that's $1 please."

I paid the men and thanked them, and left that store with the biggest smile on my face feeling like a million bucks, quietly singing along with my MP3 player and smiling the rest of the way to the store, the 2 little plugs tucked away in my pocket... some days it's the little victories...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA