Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I Have Arrived!

Well, it's 20 to 8 Wednesday evening here in Korea, and I have arrived safe and sound. The flight to Vancouver was uneventful, sat next to a very chatty fellow who wouldn't let me sleep so the time passed quickly. In Vancouver I had time to look around the airport a bit before boarding my flight. I checked out the Olympics Shop but didn't end up finding anything I really liked. The airports all seem to have free wireless now, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to connect to the internet with it; had to fall back on the credit card in the computer vending machine plan to get a quick email out to mom.

So it didn't really even hit me that I was indeed going back to Korea until I was lining up in the Vancouver airport with the bazillion Koreans and smattering of other foreigners. One push, another shove and an "aiiiish" and it all came flooding back to me. When we got settled in the plane time passed quickly. I watched Bruce Willis' "Surrogates" (fairly good), Matt Damon's "Informant!" (quite bad), and two other movies that were so good that I forgot them already! Mind you, that could be the lack of sleep, considering the fact that it's 3:45 in the morning at home, and I didn't really sleep the night before getting on the plane!!
Between movies, napping, magazines and food the flight went by quickly. I sat next to a student who had been in NS studying English for the past 7 months, and he was friendly and chatty, but also kept to himself once conversation had politely exhausted itself. I'd say that Mags spent about 1/2 the flight in my lap because I felt so bad for her tucked away under the seat on her own. ALTHOUGH, she was a super-trooper the whole trip, she did so good it was amazing!! She didn't make a peep the whole 12 hours on the plane. She had a quick pee when I finally cleared customs, and that was that... talk about a well-adjusted pup!!

When I arrived at the airport in Incheon I cleared customs (20 minute wait in line), caught the mini subway to the baggage terminal and found my bags waiting for me (as yet unchecked at this point as to whether all of their contents arrived!), brought Mags over to the animal quarantine window (5 minutes, no fees, no problems), and found Walter, my recruiter, waiting for me at the gate - perfect!! I found an international bank machine so I could take out some bucks and then we flagged down a call van and I was on my way to my new apartment!!  Andy, my new boss, met the taxi on the street after our hour drive into Bundang, hopped in and brought me right over to the apartment building (a block and a half from my school, awesome!). Turns out "my" apartment won't be ready until Saturday, so I'm in an alternate apartment until then, and it's just perfect for now. Andy bought all new furniture for me and is having it all delivered, and then he and his friend are going to move everything on Saturday when the new suite is available (yay!). I'll be on the 9th floor, and my building is an office tower that is full of services on the 2nd floor. I'll explore more tomorrow once I've had some sleep, but so far it's awesomely great!

We had a quick tour around the school and then went out for some sun dubu jigye (soft tofu kim chee soup/stew) so I could warm up (myapartment had no heat on when I arrived). Now I'm headed back there to take Mags for a walk around the block and then have myself an awesome hot shower and crawl into bed. Obviously I'm very tired (and very excited) and I have found myself using the adjective awesome too many times - a sign that it's time to sign off and start making moves to get myself off to bed! More on my adventures tomorrow... Yay 4 Korea!!!

PS - Cell phone might be 2 weeks away (I need my alien resident card which takes about 2 weeks), and I'll check into internet once I have my apartment set up this weekend. I'll take care to write at least once a day (probably more often!) and if I can find a good spot to upload some photos I'll do that too, so stay tuned!!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Dreams for my Sweetie. Am anxiously awaiting more. i.e. Did anything go missing out of the luggage??? Good for Mags!! Being such a good puppy. Going to WW tonight. Have a great fun fun day when you finally wake up. It is 10:40 Am here and am waiting for my coffee to brew. Oodles of love from your Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom! So happy to hear about WW, very very very (very!) proud of you!!!!!!!

    As for my luggage, it appears that everthing made it here safe and sound. It's a bit hard to tell since I can't really unpack it all yet (too hard to move it all if I pull it out of my bags!), but from appearances it's all there - yay! Maybe spending the bit o' bux on insurance brought good luggage karma, sounds good to me!! I need to buy some hangars so I can un-squish it all, but again I'll wait until Saturday once I know where I'm putting it and everything.

    You're right, Mags is so good, she's been so cute. I'm going to pick her up a playpen for when she's home without my I think - she used her pee pad this morning for the first time too, yay!!!

    Having a wonderful day, I'm sure you're out already but I'm happy you're checkin' in to leave me notes, thank you many. Love you much and talk to you soon, xoxo!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA