Friday, February 19, 2010

Short days with much napping!

Shopping was pretty good yesterday, at least I had fun while I was out! Can't say I did much that was culturally interesting. Tried out my Korean (which needs MUCH MORE work!), picked up a couple little things (a softer pillow, soft bath mat, towels, a blow drier, sushi for dinner) and just enjoyed being out. I went to both Lotte (lo-tay) Mart and E-Mart, and found neither a power adaptor or a jacket (everyone is wearing puffy quilted coats here and I just wanted something simple!). Oh, and I stopped at the food court for some lunch before making my way back...


So after the 2 stores it was about 2 or 3, and I headed back down the subway with my arms full of bags (and a pillow!). At the platfor there were 2 young middle school girls who moved where I moved, sat where I sat, while giggling and whispering the whole time, it was very funny. They never did get up the courage to say hello, so I put in my earphones and turned up the tunes. Once home I took Mags for another walk (which she enjoyed much more in the sunshine!) as we checked out our new neighbourhood a little more. Found a vet up the block (with some very badly behaved but CUTE puppies in the window), and about 50 european cafe-style restaurants that will be fabulous in the summer (open air patio seating etc, gorgeous!). There are a whole lotta restaurants round me, and the boss tells me the BEST bbq place is right up the street as well, we'll apparently go there for parties and such in the future. I was a bit disappointed not to find much in the way of shopping (a lot of convenience stores, but not much for "real" shopping). Surely there are a couple of department stores nearby, I'll ask when I meet the other teachers. But I digress!

The weather as the day went on got nicer and nicer, but no so much so that you could take your jacket off. I am of course wishing that I brough some kind of coat to accompany my sweater and vest, as there was a really wicked wind around most of the day, so I had my toque and my hood up and probably looked very silly (but at least I was warm!). I'll hunt around again today for a coat and see if I can pick up a windbreaker or something at a sports store. At the bottom of this page I've added a little weather box, so you can scroll down and type in "Seoul" to see what the weather is doing here if you're interested.



We were back at the apartment again by about 4pm, played fetch for awhile, and I fed her some purina soft food (which she loooooooooved). I unpacked my bit of shopping and played my DS for a bit, and then decided to lay down for a nap around 6 o'clock. Unfortunately my nap didn't end until 1am, so I haven't really done a bang-up job of getting over jet lag to this point! I played DS for awhile, played fetch with Mags a few times, and then forced myself back sleep until a more realistic wake-up hour. We got up about 6:15am and had some sushi for breakfast - Mags, it turns out doesn't like sushi: She took the first little piece I gave her, swished it around in her mouth for a bit before spraying it out on the floor. When I handed her a 2nd piece (maybe she just didn't like whitefish!) she ACTUALLY made a gagging sound before opening her mouth, I was laughing and laughing and laughing, poor dog... she was still going to take it, but I just gave her some scratches and took it away, lol... I thought the sushi was actually really good, but it's an acquired taste in our household!

So otherwise this morning has been uneventful. Went and got another Vanilla Latte from Starbucks (even with the $4.60 price tag, it's gooooooooooood!!) and walked until Maggie's feet were cold. I've taken to bringing her bag with me when we walk because she happily hops in it when she gets cold, or when we go into shops and nobody objects. At the department stores there are special pet lockers with vents and windows so you can stow your pet while you shop - handy dandy! Then we hit the PC room to drop a few lines.

On the docket for today:
  1. Write a couple of emails before leaving the PC room
  2. Find a power adaptor and an alarm clock
  3. Find a jacket of some kind (even if it's a puffy terrible one)
  4. Find a "Skin Food" shop for some toiletries
  5. Have a nap this afternoon (with an alarm set!!) so I can stay up past 6pm
  6. Get in touch with a couple of friends this afternoon to make weekend plans
  7. Meet up with a couple of old friends at a "school's out" party in Seoul later this evening
That's all I've got for now. Depending on how late I'm out I might write again today, we'll see! Hopefully by the end of the day I'll be able to use my computer at home and I'll send some pictures your way (either here or on Flickr)... Talk Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA