Friday, March 12, 2010

Lists and plans and *A*n*Y*t*H*i*N*g* but homework!

So I got to thinking (I am supposed to be doing homework, so it was bound to happen!) about the different things I want to do while I'm in Korea. I had started thinking about this when plans were bantered around for a return last Spring, so here's where I'm at for now...
  • Continue studying Korean (I have Rosetta Stone on my computer and am making a committment to do an hour of studying at least 3 times/week for the next 3 months - I hadn't been doing this but will start tomorrow, I'm hoping more will sink in since I'm surrounded by the language now!)
  • Practice yoga (The gym downstairs offers yoga a few times a week, and I've scheduled a 'viewing session' with them on Tuesday next week after work - if it looks good I'll be starting Wednesday 3 days per week for the next 3 months, otherwise I'll look around, there are yoga places all over!)
  • Spend my weekends outside of my apartment doing things, not sitting at home in front of the computer/TV (cuz let's face it, while it's easier to sit on my butt at home, that just sucks the life right outta me, so I've committed to going out and doing something new or meeting new people at least one day out of each weekend - I've been out every weekend so far!)
  • Make Korean friends, and not just hang out in the foreign community (On Sunday I'm meeting KiJeong and her daughter Cathy (old kindy student and her mom from Suji) for shabu-shabu in Suji, it's a start at least! I've also thought about maybe going for coffee with a couple of the Korean helper-teachers because they're so nice, but my Korean is just so... ugh, sketchy!!)
  • Reconnect with old friends that are still in Korea (I have gotten back in touch with most old friends that are kicking around here and even managed a visit here and there! I hope to stay in touch and hang out now and again, we'll see how that goes as none of us live in the same area)
  • Join a hiking/climbing group and go out with them regularly (I've joined a hiking group in Seoul, but haven't gone out with them yet - I hope to in April! Had to cancel March plans due to school project deadlines, yuck)
  • Let go of my attachment to converting Korean Won to Canadian Dollars everytime I want to make a purchase (I can honestly say that I haven't even thought about this once since I've been back. It was such a knot in my head the last 2 trips, I've managed to let it go though)
  • See the English theatre shows that visit and Go to at least one international concert a year (So far I've seen signs for Phantom and Miss Saigon, but both shows are in Korean... I might go see Miss Saigon anyway, but I'll keep watching; Bob Dylan is coming next month, but he's not really my thing... another thing I'll stay tuned for)
  • Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home by email and bloggin' (so far so good with this one too, yay!)
To add to the old list, I would also like to do a temple stay, do a bike tour of GyeongJu, go somewhere where the cherry blossoms are in bloom this spring for photos, take a vacation in Busan, get into a pattern of taking care of myself better (maybe regular relaxing massage and accupuncture sessions??), and perhaps if I get up the gumption (yep, getting old, I just brought out the gumption) I'll find somewhere they'll teach me how to dance... we'll see, I hope the list keeps growing as I find out more about what goes on around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA