Monday, March 8, 2010

My Sunday in Seoul

It was so nice to get out of the apartment on Sunday. The weather wasn't bad, and I didn't feel bad leaving pups behind since I'd had her out on Saturday. Grabbed a bus into the city, turned out to be the wrong one so I sardined subwayed myself to Insadong without much further ado.
One of the bestest yummiest snacks was waiting for me, delli-manjoo goodness... when they're fresh and hot they're a.ma.zing... a dab of hot vanilla pudding in the centre, yum-yum-yum!
I ate them all before I climbed my way out of the depths of the station. When I did reach the top I (of course) took the wrong exit and popped out in a street of stalls. 

There was a man making a traditional snack called Ddeok (sound kinda like doc), which is basically just smashed rice with a bit of salt rolled in soybean powder. I just wanted to take a couple pictures, but after a demonstration, several different samples and a 10-minute English explanation later (supervised by 3 grandpas over my shoulder) I bought a tray for a whole 2 dolla so they'd lemme go!

On the way to Insadong I passed Tapgol Park so I popped in to take a couple of pictures. There are (or will be!) more on my flickr page if you wanna see 'em!

From there I finally got to Insadong where I had been headed all along, and had a great time looking around and taking photos. There were people everywhere of course, and a couple of demonstrations. Same old things for sale, which is really what I love about the place. A few shops were changed (this is Korea after all) and Andy Warhol exhibit has finally hit the road :( , but overall the same vibe, it was really great. A couple of teens from a nearby church begged to take photos together, so of course I happily agreed while declining the invitation to church. Only minutes later a strange single Korean man what country you from?'d me, which lead to... I am single... I am lonely... I love children... I love you too... and I'll let you color in the rest of the blanks! I ducked into a shop shortly after the last part with a 'okay now, you have a good day there...' and didn't see him again. Yep, same old Korea!

When it got a bit chillier I wandered around Jongak area, checked out Bandi and Luni's bookstore in Samsung, and searched for my old favorite, angel kisses (candy-coated strawberries, OMG are they incredible!), I couldn't fine 'em though so I kept on walkin'.

A strange-but-true fact about me that you may not have known? Grandpas love me. I don't know what it is, but no matter where I go in any country I've ever visited, they just love chattin' me up. That's right, I'm a grandpa magnet!! I wandered by the Jongmyo area and stumbled into a whole lotta grandpas playing badduk in the park and discussing serious matters amongst the pigeons. One friendly grandpa (who I would've actually thought might have been in his early 60s) wandered over as I was taking pictures of the calligraphy. He asked why I was taking pictures, and why didn't I have a nice Korean boyfriend to show me around. He told me there are many beautiful men in Korea, and said, "oh, but not me, I'm a nice Korean guy but I'm 79 years old now, too old for you!" it was very cute. He said that he spent some time in Canada waaaay back when the Olympics were in Montreal, and of course ticked off the names of all the Canadian cities he could remember (Toront, Vancouver, Montreal). His friends were amazed with his English, and the longer we chatted the larger the group of grandpas around us grew. 


Alas, the time came to say our goodbyes, and since I was in the park, I ambled through the grounds of the Jongmyo Shrine. It was really quite peaceful inside, not a lot of people were visiting at the end of the day. I also stumbled on a group of grandpas playing various instruments just tucked into a side alley. 2 of them in particular (and another who was standing by) were quite charmed to be the centre of attention since I had hunkered down to take some pictures of them. I was the only foreigner who had snuck into the alley. They played and danced a bit; I love happening upon things like that, it was loud, but very fun.

Finally, when I walked by the Picadilly Thetre I noticed Alice was playing. I was gonna grab a ticket but decided to make my way back to my end of the world to see if it was showing there. About 75 minutes on the bus later (note: the 9000 bus is NOT the most efficient way home!) I snuck into Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief with a little popcorn just as the opening credits rolled. Really enjoyed the movie, it was the perfect end to a fabulous day!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Shauna I just love your blog! I read it every day and it makes me quite happy :) The pictures are just amazing. I wish I could go to Korea!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA