Thursday, March 11, 2010

Not So Much Just Allergies

In the past few days since getting medication I have not felt any better. The night before last I actually woke up in the middle of the night because of the sinus pain, and woke with an uneducated but stuffy medical opinion that it is not (only?) allergies making me ill, but indeed a tried and true good ole' sinus infection like I first thought. Soooo.... I went back to another doctor (same building as the last of course!) who turned out to be an ENT (just the guy for a sinus infection!).

I went to the appointment with a coworker, so when they finally called us in they called us in to the room together (of course assuming that if you're a foreign man and woman in public in Korea that we must be married). So we saw the doctor together, he for the green-tinged infection he was growing in his finger, and me for my overcrowded sinuses. The doctor looked at us in disbelief even after the 3rd time we told him we were not married, and continued asking one questions about the condition of the other. Eventually he veered off to an actual medical line of questioning and I was a bit less annoyed. So while Jerry sat in the chair about 3 feet from me after receiving a 2-day antibiotic prescription, the doctor moved me to the 'dentist' chair (same-same but different) and then proceeded to stick sharp instruments up my nose, including some strange suctioney thing (yes, that's a thing, look it up!) that he sucked all of the grossness out of my sinuses with: yuck and OW!

Following that he shook his head and then paused before confirming the diagnosis I had suspected. He scratched his head and asked, "how is it you came to know that you really had acute sinusitis?"... like I needed 10 years of medical school to tell me that!! So, after I convinced him to give me at least 5 days of medication (he suggested 2, like that would somehow fix the infection right up!) I came home with a large prepacked strip of pills. I have NO idea what any of them are, and so far they're doing me no good (but it's only really been a day).

After the appointment Jerry suggested Butterfingers for dinner since we were both starving, and I would never turn down the chance for french toast from this much talked about spot! Butterfingers is an all-day pancake and waffle house (which I never knew existed in Korea to this point), and I had an amazing pile of whipped cream and strawberry compote with a big thick slick of beautiful french toast on the side with vanilla butter (who else would think of putting vanilla in the butter for your pancakes?? these people are geniuses I tell you!), and OMG it was so good, my stomach is remembering it as I type...mmmmmmm! That, and I ordered a great big cafe mocha. Once I had taken care of most of the whipped cream and chocolate syrup piled on top (because I didn't get enough with my french toast!) I noticed a bit of writing on the inside of the cup... "Whoever is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. John 37:7-8." and I couldn't help but giggle. Somehow I don't think that's quite what they meant in the bible, but hey, this is Korea, everything is marketable!!

So another day came and went, and in the midst of it all I taught, I cooked, I ate, I giggled, and I shopped. More on the shopping later, can't wait to share my finds! Talk soon... S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My to-do List (May it Continue to Grow!)

Take a 'real' Korean class (check!)

Spend a weekend in the country (check!)

Try some kind of art class (maybe painting?)

Take the ferry to a farming island and hang out for a weekend minbak-style in the summer

Check out some kind of art exhibit (check!)

Go to Everland and see the animal safari

Go to Caribbean Bay in the summer

Take a martial art for 6 months consecutively

Cliff dive over near ChiriSan, if I can find the spot

Practice yoga for 3 months (in a class maybe?) (check!)

Take a digital photography course

Spend my weekends doing stuff (check!)

Make Korean friends (check!)

Visit JeJu Island

Do the Vagina Monologues again

Go to the fun concerts that visit (check!)

Work as a counselor in one of the schools

Reconnect with old friends (check!)

Join a hiking/touring group and do stuff (check!)

Let go of my obsessiong w/converting KRW to CAD (check!)

Do a 5km run just for the fun of it

See the Broadway shows that visit

Climb a mountain (check!)

Go to the mud festival in July (check!)

Keep in touch regularly with friends and family back at home

Labels

"Bundang Apartment" "ESL Planet" "first day" "first day" school "Jolly Pong" "Korean Goodness" "Medical Exam" "Pico Iyer" "Puran Dhaka" "visa extension" 6-7-8 activities acupuncture adjummas adventure Airport AK Plaza Anapji Pond anxious apartment apartment. bundang apartment. money Arrival Art baking Ban-Po Sauna Bangladesh Bangladesh Embassy in Seoul bank bbq BCS Computer City Best Kids Birisiri birthday Bomun Lake breakfast Buddha Bulguksa Butterfingers call-van Casa Loma Castle CGV Cherry Blossoms Church clothes CNG coffeenie computers concert contract Costco countdown Dabotap Demonstration departure Dhaka doctor E-Mart Embassy Family fatwa festival firsts Flowers Flying food friends furniture getting ready Gongju Goodbye Grandpas grotto growing up Gulshan-2 District Gyeong-Ju hartal Hawaii health heart gifts hiking home plus hospital hotel Incheon Airport Indian Visa Application Insa-Dong Intelligi Building Jenny Jim-Jil-Bang Jiri Mountain Jongmyo Shrine JukJeon Jupiter Class kids and moms Korea korea career teaching Korean Friends Korean History La Clinique Bundang La Merce learning korean leaving Maggie Maggie and Murphy Magoksa manners massage Mini Yorkshire Terriers mistakes moods Mornings motorcycle movie theatre Movies moving Music my history in Korea myeongdong Mymensingh Namdaemun Market nervous noraebahng officetel Ori packing Palace Park Passport pedicure People Photography Photos Pinwheels plans play prayers present puppies quotes rain Rally recruiter Riding the bus river sanderghat Sauna savings Schedule school Scuba Diving Scuta Diving Sejon Center Seokguram Seoul shopping sick sinus infection sleepover snow soccer sports Spring Srimongol starbucks strike subway summer Tapgol Park taxi tea garden Teacher's Day teaching teaching reading teaching speaking temple temple stay Thailand the gym time to-do-list tornado Toronto train travel underwater photos university update veterinarian Video VIPs Visa Waiting Walking wandering weather wedding weekend why Korea yellow dust YWCA